Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Flash Back

Where were you a year ago today? Most days, I would have no idea, but today is different. A year ago tonight - I was sitting in the hospital in Midland waiting for our new neice Carly to be born. She didn't make it before midnight so her actual 1st birthday is tomorrow, but I wanted to share with you a little bit of that night. You see that night is the last time that I ever saw my Pops. We all sat in that waiting room / hallway / snack machine / parking lot for the entire evening, trying to keep Jayna and Taylor occupied (can you believe that a year ago today my mom only had two grandkids and a few short months from now she will be up to seven - WOW). I had no idea at that time that it would be the last time that I would see him, but wouldn't take that night back for anything.

The last thing that my dad and I did together happened in the waiting room of the maternity ward. We were there with Taylor and Jayna - just the four of us along with another family whose young daughter was in the process of given birth to their first child. The dad came into the waiting room and explained to them (with the doctor) that the baby was fine, but that the mom was still bleeding and there were going to have to perform some quick surgery to help it to stop and possibly perform a hysterectomy. As you can imagine - they were fairly distraught. Pops looked at me and said 'Let's go pray with them!' We proceeded with the girls to grab hands with these total strangers, who were broken, and lift them and their young daughter up to our Heavenly Father. After that time we had an opportunity to talk with them and encourage them and offer some hope that only God can give (He Is Our Only Hope - just in case you didn't know that). Not too long after that we decided that we needed to get our family home as it was looking that Carly wasn't coming anytime soon, we said our goodbyes and headed home. The young girl did come through surgery very well and her and baby were able to go home in a couple of days.

The last thing that I did with my dad was to reach out to a family in need. He led me and taught me for so many years and even in the last few days of his life he was still leading me by example. Reminding me to reach out to those in need - reminding me to offer the joy and hope that God can bring to those who need it - reminding me of the awesome power of prayer. I don't want to try be just like my Dad (he was an incredible man on his own) - but I do want to be the man who does many of these things that my Dad instilled in me from a young age. I want to be a man that strives to please God in everything (just like my Dad). I want to be a man who places his family above all other things in this world (just like my Dad). I want to be a man who trains his children to love God and love people (just like my Dad). Ok maybe I will end up just like my Dad.

Remember my family this week. Pops left us a year ago this week, but he also left a legacy and although we miss him - we choose to honor him by continuing to life our lives in a way that he and our Heavenly Father will be pleased with. On Friday, as we celebrate 'Pop's One Year Anniversary In Heaven' (Thanks Jeannie) we will be sad, but we will cling to that hope of one day seeing him again. You can too - all who choose to accept Christ as their Saviour will also see him again one day. Until that day - we will live the life that we have been given - serving God each and every day (just like my Dad).

6 comments:

Stone Family said...

I have been thinking about your Dad this month. And all the great memories I have of your family. Your Dad was a really special person. And I am really proud to see that you are walking in his footsteps. p.s. You look so much like him!

Anonymous said...

I also miss your dad, he left in God's timing not ours. I am praying for you and all of your family, I know how difficult it is for you all. I love all of you!!!

Shoemaker Family said...

Great words, Aaron. And you're right we strive to be like Christ, but because of the man Dad was we in turn are like him. What a blessing we have in our legacy of parents.

And...thanks for helping me water my keyboard here at work. A little heads up next time would be nice! gee whiz!

Anonymous said...

Nothing like starting out the morning with a good cry! It's hard to believe that Uncle Terry has been gone for a year. You guys are amazing and I love you so much! I'm with you!
Jenny

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking about your dad and your family alot this week. Yesterday, with no school, the kids and I were looking at pictures and came across a big batch of ones of your dad. It was so hard not to cry. I too remember the last conversation I had with your dad. He was such a blessing and an encouragement to me, especially as I have had problems and struggles with my own dad. I think of his words often. Thank you for sharing your memory. Couldn't hold back the tears this time. We pray for your family always, you know that, but extra prayers this week. We are here and we love you all. We miss him too!
Charlotte

Leavitt Family said...

Your family has been on my mind a lot this week. I've been praying for you everytime that you come to my mind. Your family strength is so inspiring! You have deep roots!
Love you much...Tam