Saturday, June 21, 2008

Jayna's Arm

As we told you, Jayna broke her arm on June 5th in gym class. She had her first surgery that night to set the bones and clean out the open wound. Her arm was then put in a full arm cast and a sling. She spent one night in the hospital and came home. She was super brave and calm before and after the surgery! We were so proud of her! We went back to the surgeon the next week and found out that the bones were not set anymore and further surgery needed to be done. She had this next surgery this past Wednesday. Dr. Goethe put in elastic titanium nails in each bone. He had to make an extra incision than planned for the radius bone because it was off so bad. She spent another night in the hospital. Once again, Jayna was super brave and calm. She has done an excellent job with all of this! Now, she is recovering and feeling better everyday! PRAISE GOD ALL HE HAS DONE FOR JAYNA! Thank you for your prayers! July 1st is her next appointment. This is when she is supposed to get a PINK cast (still full arm) that her friends can sign! The nails will be surgically removed in 6-9 months. Here is what she has been up to lately: cuddling with her sister...
enjoying visits from special friends like Amber and Michelle... working on a memory book with people like Grandma Ellie...
playing school with friends like Aric...
and doing art projects. She also gets on the computer, reads books, plays games and goes outside as much as she can tolerate, along with many other things. This hasn't slowed her down too much, but there are times when she needs a rest. She is a champ in our books!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you! I kind of know what you're going through Jayna! I broke my arm the day after my 6th birthday on the bike that I had just gotten THE DAY BEFORE!! I had to stay the night in the hospital too! I couldn't ride my bike all summer and had to be very careful swimming and trying not to get my cast wet too!! Take rests when you get tired, because that cast can get pretty heavy!

Love,
Cousin Jenny

Anonymous said...

Hi Hess Family!
I can't believe what I heard about Jayna! I talked to Grandma the other day and she told me. What a YUCKY way to start summer, but it sounds like you've been doing well with it.

Take care. Hopefully we'll see you soon.
Courtney